New deep current `found in Southern Ocean`
Washington: Scientists claim to have
located a very strong deep current in the Indian Ocean sector
of Southern Ocean, which is an important part of the network
that influences climate patterns.
A joint Japanese Australian team has found the ocean
current with a volume equivalent to 40 Amazon Rivers near the
Kerguelen plateau, in the Indian Ocean sector of the Southern
Ocean, 4200 kilometres southwest of Perth.
According to the scientists, the current, more than
three kilometres below the Ocean`s surface, is an important
pathway in a global network of ocean currents that influence
"The current carries dense, oxygen rich water that
sinks near Antarctica to the deep ocean basins further north,"
said co-scientist Dr Steve Rintoul of the Antarctic Climate
and Ecosystems CRC and CSIRO`s Wealth from Oceans Flagship.
"Without this supply of Antarctic water, the deepest
levels of the ocean would have little oxygen. The ocean
influences climate by storing and transporting heat and carbon
dioxide -- the more the ocean stores, the slower the rate of
"The deep current along the Kerguelen Plateau is part
of a global system of ocean currents called the overturning
circulation, which determines how much heat and carbon the
ocean can soak up," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM