New dinosaur species found from museum vaults
London: Researchers have discovered what they say are the remains of a new horned dinosaur species which has been lying in the vaults of a British museum for nearly a century.
The remains of Spinops sternbergorum, which belongs to
the same family as the Triceratops, were excavated from a
quarry alongside a large group of fossils in a so-called "bone
bed" in Alberta, Canada in 1916.
But the bones were described as "rubbish" by the Natural
History Museum`s keeper of Geology at that time, and lay
unnoticed for almost 100 years before experts realised they
belonged to an undescribed species.
They were rediscovered by a current group of researchers
who decided to take another look at the fossils and realised
that they were unlike any others known to science.
Dr Andrew Farke, who led the research team, said: "I knew
right away that these fossils were something unusual, and it
was very exciting to learn about their convoluted history.
"Here we have not just one, but multiple individuals of
the same species, so we are confident that it’s not just an odd
example of a previously known species," Dr Farke was quoted as
saying a newspaper.
The find means that paleontologists will have to redefine
how the horned dinosaur group, plant-eating dinosaurs sporting
large horns and bony frills on their necks, are classified.
Dr Paul Barrett, the Natural History Museum`s resident
researcher, said: "This discovery is of particular importance
as it has implications on the way we use the spines that
extend from the bony neck frill, which may have been used for
identification between individuals, in our classifications of
"These embellishments are central to determining
relationships between the groups of horned dinosaurs and are a
sign of evolutionary relatedness."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing