New dinosaur with giant nose discovered
Washington: Scientists have discovered a new dinosaur with a large prominent nose in northern Mexico, which lived about 73-million-years ago.
The duck-billed dinosaur, Latirhinus uitstlani lived during the Late Cretaceous period and its wide nasal cavity might have given it incredible smell-detecting ability.
"Also, it might have supported and provided enhanced space for a soft tissue structure, sort of like an inflatable bladder, for display, recognition and communication purposes in general," said lead researcher Albert Prieto-Marquez from Bayerische Staatssammlung fur Palaontologie und Geologie in Munich.
The dinosaur also possessed sturdy hind limbs ending in three toes, and relatively smaller and thinner forelimbs ending in 4 digits - meaning this animal was thumb-less, the `Discovery News` reported.
"When walking and feeding, Latirhinus would normally walk on four legs, although when it needed to increase the pace and run, it could rise on its two hind legs. A long tail would extend posteriorly to counterbalance the anterior part of the body," Prieto-Marquez said.
He added that these dinosaurs were herbivores with "a few thousand teeth closely packed together to form a grinding surface to chew the vegetation they fed upon."
The environment that Latirhinus inhabited was likely warmer and more humid than it is today, with lakes and bays nearby, the report said.
Prieto-Marquez said the new dinosaur is important for at least four major reasons.
"First, it expands our knowledge of the diversity of hadrosaurids (duck-billed dinosaurs) both anatomically - it shows us how hadrosaurids were able to evolve really bizarre structures to become better adapted to their environment - and regarding biodiversity, adding yet another new genus and species of these animals," he said.
Researchers said the dinosaur helps to fill a gap in our knowledge of the fossil record of these animals in southern North America. It provides a link between North American and South American dinosaurs of their kind.
The dinosaur also strengthens prior speculation that this type and its relatives dominated the region back in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Javed Miandad asks Misbah-ul-Haq to call off retirement plans to ensure Pakistan's future success
- Salman Khan's sister Arpita's house robbed; cash, goods worth Rs 3.25 lakh stolen
- Severe obesity alone can increase heart failure risk
- Fertilizer factory tank leaks, 35 ill in Bangladesh
- Pace of new bad loan formation has decelerated: RBI