New electric fish discovered in South America
Toronto: Scientists have identified a previously unknown genus of electric fish in a remote region of South America.
The Akawaio penak, a thin, eel-like electric fish, was discovered in the shallow, murky waters of the upper Mazaruni River is northern Guyana.
The team of international researchers, including University of Toronto Scarborough professor Nathan Lovejoy, analysed tissue samples collected during a recent expedition by researchers led by Hernan Lopez-Fernandez at the Royal Ontario Museum.
By sequencing its DNA and reconstructing an evolutionary tree, the team discovered the fish is so distinct it represents a new genus, the taxonomic classification level above species.
The upper Mazaruni River is a hotspot for biological diversity, yet remains largely unexplored because of its remote location.
The area contains countless rivers on top of a series of uplands that have remained isolated from the rest of South America for more than 30 million years.
"The fact this area is so remote and has been isolated for such a long time means you are quite likely to find new species," said Lovejoy.
Like other electric knifefish, Akawaio penak has a long organ running along the base of the body that produces an electric field.
The electric field is too weak to stun prey but is instead used to navigate, detect objects and to communicate with other electric fish. This trait is advantageous given the murky habitats of the fish.
The species is named in honour of the Akawaio Amerindians that populate the upper Mazaruni.
"The Mazaruni contains many unique species that aren`t found anywhere else in the world. It`s an extremely important area in South America in terms of biodiversity," said Lovejoy.
The results of the discovery are published in the journal Zoologica Scripta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli