New snub-nosed monkey found in Myanmar
Yangon: A new species of monkey with an upturned nose that causes it to sneeze when it rains has been found in northern Myanmar, conservationists said Wednesday.
The animal is almost entirely black with white tufts on its ear and chin, according to the wildlife organization Fauna & Flora International (FFI), whose primatologists were involved in the discovery.
The monkeys "display characteristics unlike any other snub-nosed species previously described", it said.
Although the species is new to science, it is well known to locals who call it the "monkey with an upturned face".
On rainy days they often sit with their heads tucked between their knees to avoid getting water in their upturned noses.
The monkeys are believed to spend the summer at higher altitudes in mixed temperate forests and descend closer to villages in winter when food in scarce.
Frank Momberg, FFI`s Asia Pacific regional programme development coordinator, said interviews with local hunters suggested there were just 260-330 individuals, which would make it critically endangered.
The monkey inhabits an area in Kachin State that is geographically isolated from other species by the Mekong and the Salween rivers, which may explain why it has not been discovered earlier, FFI said.
Species of snub-nosed monkeys are found in parts of China and Vietnam and considered endangered. Conservationists say this is the first time species have been reported in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing