New technique to track algae developed
Melbourne: Scientists have developed a new technique to detect and monitor algae in aquatic systems.
Researchers at The University of Western Australia said to understand the ecology of an aquatic system, it was important to know how algae, or phytoplankton communities, were distributed due to their central role in the functioning of aquatic ecosystems.
"Traditionally, this could only be known from the collection and analysis of a large number of water samples through labour-intensive microscopic methods and experienced staff, which is a long and expensive process," said Research Associate Professor Clelia Marti, from UWA`s Centre for Water Research.
To overcome these issues, the team of scientists at the Centre for Water Research, led by Professor Jorg Imberger and Marti, developed new hardware and software that allowed them to rapidly survey in the field and assess on site the distribution of phytoplankton.
Marti said scientists were able to determine phytoplankton distribution by measuring spectral fluorescence data, which contained important information about phytoplankton composition that was difficult to decode from raw data.
Recognising this issue, recently graduated PhD student Dr Ryan Alexander developed a new technique with the CWR team that allows the main features in the phytoplankton distribution to be identified based on interpreting a two-dimensional graph.
This technique was applied to field data collected from Lake Victoria in Kenya, one of the largest lakes in the world.
Outcomes of the research provided new insights that are relevant to the ongoing management of that important water resource, researchers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?