NGO saved 300 birds in cyclone-hit Odisha, Andhra Pradesh
New Delhi: Days after cyclone Phailin left a trail of devastation in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, a Delhi- based wildlife NGO has helped save more than 300 birds from the two disaster-hit states.
Both the states reported death of hundreds of birds. The rescue was done by Wildlife SOS. The team also established a bird nursery in a local school building where fledglings of Asian open bill storks have been sheltered and are being provided care.
"Once we heard the news about the cyclone, we started making preparations. We formed a team for the disaster that responded immediately when we received the report of hundreds of birds being injured in Andhra Pradesh," Arun A Sha, veterinary director, Wildlife SOS, said.
The Wildlife SOS cyclone relief team led by two veterinarians Sanath and Yeshesh and another wildlife biologist provided first aid, veterinary care for hundreds of rescued birds, mainly Asian open bill storks in large numbers.
NGO officials said the team had worked out of a base camp close to Ichchapuram where the local bodies have reported the death of over 800 birds.
The Wildlife SOS team has been working with local bodies and other local organizations to treat injured birds and provide them veterinary care and food.
The cyclone`s impact on uprooting and damaging trees resulted in thousands of bird nests crashing on the ground with their inhabitants. While hundreds were crushed by the branches, many were maimed and severely injured, they added.
Geeta Seshamani, co-founder of Wildlife SOS, said "we hope to rescue as many birds and animals as we can in the coming days," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM