NGT issues bailable warrant against Odisha minister, 2 others
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal has issued bailable warrants against Odisha Environment Minister and the ASI chief over non-appearance of anyone on their behalf to respond on the issue of environmental pollution around the famous Sri Jagannath Temple in Puri.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also issued a bailable warrant against Principal Secretary of Odisha government`s Department of Forest and Environment as no one has appeared on the official`s behalf either.
"Respondent No 3 (Principal Secretary, Department of Forest and Environment, Government of Odisha), 4 (Minister in charge of Environment and Forest) and 7 (Director General, ASI) have been served notice, but nobody appears on their behalf despite service.
"The presence of these respondents is essential before the Tribunal for the purpose of fully and finally adjudicating the issues involved in the matter. Consequently, we issue bailable warrants against all these respondents for a sum of Rs 20,000 each to the satisfaction of the arresting officer," the bench said and fixed the matter for August 23.
The order came on a plea by an environmental activist Subhas Datta who has challenged the practice of the temple`s open-air kitchen of using firewood to cook food for the devotees on the grounds that use of wood creates environmental hazard by spreading smoke and causes deforestation.
He has sought that an alternative like LPG be used and if such a change is opposed, then an electrostatic precipitator (ESP) be installed to remove the smoke generated by the kitchen, which is said to have a capacity of cooking for one lakh people.
Datta has also sought directions to the Odisha government to declare a one km radius around the temple as air pollution control area where massive burning of firewood should be totally restricted or regulated.
In his petition, Datta has also sought relocation of the `Swar Dwar`, the cremation ground at Puri, saying the ash generated by burning of bodies allegedly blows into the nearby open-air kitchen of the temple.
If relocation of the cremation ground is not feasible, then he has sought setting up of an electric crematorium or installing a roof over the burning ghat and fixing of a chimney to release the smoke into a reasonable height.
Apart from that, Datta has also sought directions to the state to "not allow any restrictive business or commercial activities within the sea-beach area or Coastal Regulation Zone" of Puri and to "demolish all unauthorised construction there at the earliest".
He has alleged that instead of planting trees on the beach to stabilise the sand dunes of the beach, the area is being taken over by commercial establishments like hotels which could give rise to environmental problems as Puri is located in a High Damage Risk Zone.
He has alleged that commercial establishments are "encroaching upon the sea-beach" in "total violation of coastal regulations".
He has also sought implementation of "measures to stop all discharge of untreated sewage and drainage water into the sea", especially close to the beach, as lakhs of tourists visit the town to bathe in the sea water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?