NGT refuses permission to brick kilns near Kaziranga
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has refused permission to some brick kiln units from operating in the no-development zone near Kaziranga National Park in Assam, saying they do not have consent of authorities and are also one of the "most polluting industries".
While disposing of the pleas, the NGT bench headed by Justice A S Naidu, who recently retired from the tribunal, also noted that there was controversy regarding whether the units are located within the no-development zone (NDZ) or outside it as claimed by the brick kilns in their application.
"It appears that the consent order for setting up the brick kiln is not available. Therefore, it is not possible for us to appreciate the clauses/conditions imposed. That apart, there is controversy with regard to exact location of the brick kiln(s) i.E. As to whether the same is situated within the NDZ or outside.
"The applicant(s) cannot be permitted to function within the NDZ of Kaziranga National Park in the absence of consent," the bench said.
The brick kilns had moved the NGT seeking review of its February 15, 2012 order restraining grant of fresh approvals to industries or stone-crushing units and renewal of licences of existing ones operating in the NDZ near the park.
The February 15 order had come in a case filed by Assam- based activist Rohit Chaudhary, seeking directions to stop quarrying and stone-crushing units around Kaziranga.
In their appeal seeking permission to operate, the brick kiln owners had claimed they were situated beyond the NDZ and were set up after complying with all the formalities.
This contention was opposed by the Ministry of Forests and Environment (MoEF) and Chaudhary`s counsel.
While disposing of the appeal filed by the brick kiln owners, the tribunal, however, granted them liberty to approach authorities concerned for grant of consent and added that their applications for permission should be considered "strictly in consonance with the rules" and after verifying whether the units are located in the NDZ or outside.
Chaudhary in his plea had alleged large-scale violation of July 5, 1996 notification of the MoEF which declared the area within a radius of 15 km from the petroleum refinery at Numaligarh near the national park as NDZ.
He had also alleged unregulated quarrying and mining activities in the NDZ around the park and tiger reserve and Karbi-Anglong Elephant Reserve in Assam.
Chaudhary had also sought directions to the MoEF and the Assam government to identify stone-crushing and industrial units operating in NDZ without approval and to take necessary action against them including their closure.
Kaziranga is home to one-horned rhinos and also has the largest concentration of endangered species like swamp deer, wild-buffalo, elephant, tiger and Gangetic dolphin, the petitioner had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'