NGT warning to authorities on construction on Yamuna, Hindon banks
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) Tuesday warned the authorities of Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh that if they do not come clear on whether any construction is permitted in the flood plains of Yamuna and Hindon rivers, their head of departments will have to appear before it.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also gave four weeks time as last opportunity to UP government to comply with its directions and listed the matter for further hearing on October 23.
"We had directed all the authorities concerned to take a clear stand as to what is the flood plain area declared by them and whether any construction was permitted or otherwise specifically prohibited. Despite the clear directions, none of the parties, i.E., the local authority, corporation, state of UP, state of Haryana, DDA, and Noida authority as well, have filed such affidavits.
"Let clear affidavits be filed now by all concerned and that too by way of last opportunity. If such affidavits are not filed, the Head of the Department of each organization shall be present in person.... By way of last opportunity, we grant four weeks time to the state of Uttar Pradesh to comply with the directions contained in our orders," it said.
On May 20, the NGT had ordered demolition of all illegal and unauthorised structures in the flood plains of the Yamuna and the Hindon in Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh on a plea against the `concretisation` of the banks of the two rivers.
It had also restrained any construction, temporary and permanent, which is being carried out without the permission of the competent authorities in the flood zones of the two rivers.
The NGT`s directions had come on a plea by UP-based water conservationist Akash Vashishtha claiming construction of concrete farmhouses, plots, colonies and commercial set-ups in river-bed area damages the natural environment and is a grave hazard to well-being of humans and violates the Environment Protection Act 1986.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre