NGT warning to authorities on construction on Yamuna, Hindon banks
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) Tuesday warned the authorities of Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh that if they do not come clear on whether any construction is permitted in the flood plains of Yamuna and Hindon rivers, their head of departments will have to appear before it.
A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar also gave four weeks time as last opportunity to UP government to comply with its directions and listed the matter for further hearing on October 23.
"We had directed all the authorities concerned to take a clear stand as to what is the flood plain area declared by them and whether any construction was permitted or otherwise specifically prohibited. Despite the clear directions, none of the parties, i.E., the local authority, corporation, state of UP, state of Haryana, DDA, and Noida authority as well, have filed such affidavits.
"Let clear affidavits be filed now by all concerned and that too by way of last opportunity. If such affidavits are not filed, the Head of the Department of each organization shall be present in person.... By way of last opportunity, we grant four weeks time to the state of Uttar Pradesh to comply with the directions contained in our orders," it said.
On May 20, the NGT had ordered demolition of all illegal and unauthorised structures in the flood plains of the Yamuna and the Hindon in Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh on a plea against the `concretisation` of the banks of the two rivers.
It had also restrained any construction, temporary and permanent, which is being carried out without the permission of the competent authorities in the flood zones of the two rivers.
The NGT`s directions had come on a plea by UP-based water conservationist Akash Vashishtha claiming construction of concrete farmhouses, plots, colonies and commercial set-ups in river-bed area damages the natural environment and is a grave hazard to well-being of humans and violates the Environment Protection Act 1986.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees