Ninety-two Asiatic lions died in Gujarat in last 2 yrs
Ahmedabad: Ninety-two Asiatic lions have died, including 83 of natural death, in the past two years in Gujarat`s Saurashtra region while there has been no case of poaching.
In a written reply to a question asked by Congress MLA from Lathi, Bavku Unghad, Minister of State for Forest and Environment Govind Patel told the state assembly recently that nine lions died of accidents, including by falling in open wells.
As per the government data, 46 lions each died in 2011 and 2012. Out of the total 92 lions dying in the past two years, 43 were cubs, 29 female and 20 male felines.
"There was no incident of poaching in any part of the state," Patel said.
On the same issue, Amreli Congress MLA Paresh Dhanani raised concerns of scarcity of drinking water in Saurashtra region and pointed out that because of it, lions were found moving away from the sanctuary area in and around Sasan Gir.
He wanted to know from the government if it has any plans to stop `outward migration` of lions from this area.
"At present there is no such situation which forces the lions to leave forest areas," replied Patel.
In another written reply to a question asked by Talala Congress MLA Jasu Barad, the minister said that as per the Census conducted in 2010, there were 411 lions in the state.
During the question hour on Friday last, Patel said "Though Asiatic lions are only found in Gujarat and the state has been considered a home for it, the central government has never included lions in any of the promotional materials for tourism in India".
"While the Gujarat government has been making its own efforts to promote tourism in the state, including a film called `Khushbu Gujarat Ki` showing Bollywood superstar
Amitabh Bachchan promoting the state, Congress leaders here are criticising it as a waste of money," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...