Ninety-two Asiatic lions died in Gujarat in last 2 yrs
Ahmedabad: Ninety-two Asiatic lions have died, including 83 of natural death, in the past two years in Gujarat`s Saurashtra region while there has been no case of poaching.
In a written reply to a question asked by Congress MLA from Lathi, Bavku Unghad, Minister of State for Forest and Environment Govind Patel told the state assembly recently that nine lions died of accidents, including by falling in open wells.
As per the government data, 46 lions each died in 2011 and 2012. Out of the total 92 lions dying in the past two years, 43 were cubs, 29 female and 20 male felines.
"There was no incident of poaching in any part of the state," Patel said.
On the same issue, Amreli Congress MLA Paresh Dhanani raised concerns of scarcity of drinking water in Saurashtra region and pointed out that because of it, lions were found moving away from the sanctuary area in and around Sasan Gir.
He wanted to know from the government if it has any plans to stop `outward migration` of lions from this area.
"At present there is no such situation which forces the lions to leave forest areas," replied Patel.
In another written reply to a question asked by Talala Congress MLA Jasu Barad, the minister said that as per the Census conducted in 2010, there were 411 lions in the state.
During the question hour on Friday last, Patel said "Though Asiatic lions are only found in Gujarat and the state has been considered a home for it, the central government has never included lions in any of the promotional materials for tourism in India".
"While the Gujarat government has been making its own efforts to promote tourism in the state, including a film called `Khushbu Gujarat Ki` showing Bollywood superstar
Amitabh Bachchan promoting the state, Congress leaders here are criticising it as a waste of money," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!