Nitish Kumar advocates timely steps to save the planet
Patna: Joining the `Save the Earth` campaign Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today stressed the need for taking timely steps to save our planet before it becomes too late.
The new generation was pledging to protect the earth and ensure safety of environment for which `Father of Nation` Mahatma Gandhi had in 1942 launched the `Quit India Movement,` Kumar said at a function on the occasion of Earth day at Kamala Nehru Girls High school, Gardanibagh.
"It is unfortunate that dirt is being spread and water is being misused and the dependence on electricity had increased," he said.
Kumar said even the course of rivers are being altered or tampered with for the sake of running thermal power and hydel power projcts and coal being burnt for running thermal plants which had adverse impact on eviroment.
He said while the use of ACs is on the rise, he had no experience of an air-conditioner till before 1985 and "now AC has spread from houses to houses and the emission of carbon creates crisis for earth and disturbs the ecological balance."
Kumar said deficient rains was also the reason and it had become imperative to ensure plantation of trees, roads, embankments, canals and increased the greenery cover.
Tree plantation work going on in schools and even Raksha Sutras were being tied around trees and there were several programmes launched for protection and safety of forests and foster people`s involvement with trees.
Mahatma Gandhi had also given the slogan of do-or-die which led to freedom of India after five year in 1947, he said and on the occasion of the Kranti Divas special attempts are being made in the state by organising earth day functions, the chief minister said.
Coming to increase the production of electricity, he said Centre had given coal linkage for Barauni thermal power plant "because of our sincere efforts."
Even power plants are being set up in private sctor in Bihar.
Kumar also laid thrust on ensuring education of girls saying it would lead to prosperity of a family and there should be a tradition of planting ten trees following birth of female baby.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report