No anthrax in Delhi zoo, precautionary measures eased
New Delhi: The death of a male rhino in Delhi zoo last month was not caused by deadly anthrax, tests at three labs have confirmed following which restrictions at the facility were eased.
Though anthrax has been ruled out as the cause of death, officials said they were yet to ascertain what led to the male rhino`s death in April.
As the reports from Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly, the National Institute for Communicable Diseases and a private vet lab here established that anthrax was not the cause, officials said they have eased the precautionary measures taken at the zoo after the rhino`s death.
Now, the animal enclosure has been opened for public view. The four-year-old male Indian rhinoceros, Junior Raja, listed as an endangered species, was found dead on April 29 at its enclosure at the zoo.
Suspecting the symptoms to be those of anthrax during the post mortem, the dead rhinoceros` blood and food samples were sent for testing to the Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly, the National Institute for Communicable Diseases and a private vet lab here.
"All three results have come out and are negative," Delhi zoo curator Riaz Khan told PTI.
On what was the real reason that caused the animal`s death, Khan said, "We are still finding out what the reason is, but it definitely isn`t anthrax as the results clearly show".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video