`No danger of earth exploding`
Washington: Scientists have nailed an alarming prediction about the cataclysmic destruction of earth in 2012.
An erroneous doomsday theory doing the rounds is that a supernova explosion, which releases energy equivalent to that produced during the sun`s entire lifetime, could happen in 2012 and harm earthly life.
However, given the vastness of space and the long light years between supernovae, astronomers say with certainty that there is no threatening star close enough to hurt earth.
According to a statement by NASA-Goddard Space Flight Centre, astronomers say that the closest gamma-ray burst on record, known as GRB 031203, is 1.3 billion light years away from the earth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt