Noise pollution turning blue whales deaf
London: The world largest animal, the blue
whale is slowly turning deaf due to increasing noise pollution
in the ocean waters by humans, according to a new research.
The blue whales are suffering from hearing loss, they are
being forced to increase their `singing` to cope with noise
pollution and where displaying behavioural changes due to
man-made noise, scientists found.
The endangered blue whale uses sonar to navigate, locate
prey, avoid predators and communicate. The increasing use of
hi-tech sonar by ships, the noise of propellers, seismic
surveys, sea-floor drilling, and low-frequency radio
transmissions have made oceans noisier and is interfering with
whales communication signals, according to a Daily Telegraph
Zoologist Lucia Di Iorio, of the University of Zurich,
analysed the song of blue whales through microphones in the St
Lawrence estuary off Canada`s north east coast over an eleven
day period in August 2004.
"We found that blue whales called consistently more on
seismic exploration days than on non-exploration days as well
as during periods within a seismic survey day when the sparker
was operating," she was quoted by the paper.
"This study suggests careful reconsideration of the
potential behavioural impacts of even low source level seismic
survey sounds on large whales. This is particularly relevant
when the species is at high risk of extinction as is the blue
whale," added Di Iorio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door