North Sikkim geologically vulnerable: Geologists
Mangan, Sikkim: The Geological Survey of India has sent teams to the earthquake affected areas in Sikkim to study the causes of the disaster and the state`s seismic vulnerability.
"The affected region is geologically considered to be a weak zone and prone to earthquakes. It is termed as a major fault zone in the Himalayan region because of the convergence of Tectonic plates there," Prashanta Bhaumik, a senior geologist at the GSI`s Sikkim set-up, told.
"There were earthquakes before, but this time the devastation is more because of the severity and the duration of the calamity," he said.
The earthquake measured 6.8 on the Richter scale and it lasted for a fairly longer period than earlier and its effect was felt as far as in Chennai, he said.
"Moreover, the earthquake was shallow with a depth of 10 to 20 km and naturally the earth surface was hit with a severe intensity, justifying the casualty figure," he said.
Bhaumik said the epicentre was 68 km north of Mangan, near the Indo-Nepal border, which is why the worst-affected places were those in North Sikkim like Chungtham, Lachen and Lachung and small hamlets surrounding them.
"Previously the most severe earthquake was in 1980 when the intensity was 6.1 on the Richter scale and the casualty was much lower," he said.
Bhaumik said the GSI has a permanent station at Ranipur and there are temporary stations too to monitor earthquakes and other natural disasters.
He said a team of two scientists - a seismologist and a geologist - have started work on finding out the reasons for the `quake which has cut a wide swathe of destruction in Sikkim, West Bengal, Tibet and to a some extent in Bhutan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'