Novel project uses papyrus to protect Kenyan lake
London: A novel project comprising floating islands of recycled plastic bottles and papyrus plants will help protect the ecosystems of Naivasha, a renowned lake in Rift Valley, Kenya.
Funded by German REWE Group, the partnership between British tea producer Finlays and David Harper, from the University of Leicester, aims to utilise the water-cleansing services of papyrus on artificial floating islands.
Papyrus has many commercial uses, but it is a most valuable natural filter for dirty water.
A common plant of tropical wetlands, it is capable of acting like a sewage treatment works all on its own.
Harper said: "Lake Naivasha is a freshwater lake of around 100 sq km, and although once crystal clear and surrounded by papyrus, it has suffered badly in the past 30 years, according to a Leicester statement.
"A major factor is that Naivasha has been the fastest growing town in Kenya as a result of the bonanza of horticulture, cut flowers for export, which is now one of Kenya`s top three earners of foreign exchange," he added.
Imarisha Naivasha is a multi-stakeholder organisation created by government to oversee the equitable and sustainable use of natural resources in the Naivasha basin.
It was set up by the Kenyan prime minister, after he requested help from the Prince of Wales` International Sustainability Unit.
The plastic bottle islands that have just been ordered from `Floating Islands Southeast,` (FI-SE), a new US company, will be anchored once the papyrus has been planted, at the mouth of the main river, the Malewa, to trap silt before it reaches the lake.
The roots of papyrus islands also act as important fish nurseries and feeding grounds, whilst their five-metre tall stems hold a rich biodiversity of birds such as warblers and kingfishers.
The project is beneficial to both people and nature. If the first group of islands is successful, it will be repeated around the lake shore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read