Now, a bread that lasts 60 days
London: An American company claims it has developed a technique that can make bread stay mould-free for 60 days, BBC reported Friday.
In normal conditions bread will go moldy in around 10 days. But US company Microzap said it has developed a technique that will keep bread mould free for two months.
At their laboratory in Texas Tech University in Lubbock, chief executive Don Stull showed off a long, metallic microwave device that resembles an industrial production line.
Originally designed to kill bacteria such as MRSA and salmonella, the researchers discovered it could kill the mould spores in bread in around 10 seconds.
The company claims it could significantly reduce the amount of wasted bread, which in Britain alone amounts to almost a third of all loaves purchased.
The technique can also be used with a wide range of foods including fresh turkey and many fruits and vegetables.
In the US, figures released this year suggest that the average family throws away 40 percent of the food they purchase, which adds up to $165 billion annually.
In Britain, bread is a major culprit, with 32 percent of loaves thrown out as waste when they could be eaten, according to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
One of the biggest threats to bread is mould. As loaves are usually wrapped in plastic, any water in the bread that evaporates from within is trapped and makes the surface moist. This provides excellent growing conditions for Rhizopus stolonifer, the fungus that leads to mould.
The machine the team has built uses much the same technology as found in commercial microwaves - but with some important differences, according to Stull.
"We introduce the microwave frequencies in different ways, through a slotted radiator. We get a basically homogeneous signal density in our chamber - in other words, we don`t get the hot and cold spots you get in your home microwave."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof