Now, a `green` bicycle for cycling enthusiasts
Bangalore: We all know cycling is eco-friendly. But how about a `green` bicycle to take the eco-friendly mode of transport a step further?
That is what a Bangalore cycling enthusiast will do - ride a cycle handcrafted from bamboo to promote the `green` cause.
Vijay Sharma, a Bangalore-based designer, will ride his handcrafted cycle all the way to Ooty, the hill station in the Nilgiris in neighbouring Tamil Nadu, 900 km away from this tech hub.
Sharma, 32, is a product of Ahmedabad-based Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology. He now stays in Bangalore.
He is joining 69 other cycling enthusiasts who will, however, ride regular bicycles. The 70 are pedalling off from here Dec 16.
Sharma`s bicycle "is made from bamboo, replacing 3.5 kg of steel tubes traditionally used in the manufacture of bicycles". "The bicycle has internationally accepted grade components," he told.
"The bicycle is a reflection of my interest in cycling and the desire to use clean transport," he said.
Sharma`s cycle cost him Rs.10,000. He hopes to rope in a manufacturer for mass production. He, however, says it is too early to compare the cost of a mass produced bamboo cycle to a regular one.
"Sharma will lead the 69 riders on the cycling tour as a symbol of their effort to encourage cycling and adopt green means of transport that has a lower carbon impact on the environment," said Arun Katiyar, a member of RideACycle Foundation, the group organising the event.
Bangalore-based RideACycle Foundation is a not-for-profit advocacy group promoting sustainable transport, responsible travel and environmentally and socially responsible bicycling opportunities.
The eight-day tour of the Nilgiris will pass through Bangalore, Mysore, Hassan, Mercara, Irupu and Sultanbathery before ending in Ooty. Sponsored by TI Cycles of India, this is the second edition of the tour.
Sharma is participating for the first time.
Commenting on the hand crafted bamboo bicycle, Rajesh Mani, general manager of marketing of TI Cycles said: "We encourage and recognize the spirit of innovation. We see Sharma`s efforts as a step which could help create bicycle options that are suited for Indian conditions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'