Now British `garbage girl` to clean Shiva`s abode
Shimla: This Briton is known as the `garbage girl` of the mountains in Himachal Pradesh. And she is now set to clean the huge piles of trash left behind by devotees of Lord Shiva at the Manimahesh Lake in Chamba district.
Jodie Underhill, who was honoured with a `Green Hero` award at an environment film festival here last month for cleaning up garbage in the Dharamsala hills in northern India, has now decided to adopt the hills surrounding the sacred Manimahesh Lake as the Hindu pilgrimage season nears.
"I`ve just returned from Manimahesh where I went to evaluate the sites for our upcoming clean-up campaign," Jodie said.
"I was saddened to see how dirty it was everywhere even though the annual Manimahesh pilgrimage has not even begun. You can see garbage on every step of the 14-km trail. There is also a large amount of human waste around the glacial-fed lake which is a health hazard. We have a mammoth task ahead of us but I have every faith that we will make huge improvements," said Jodie, who is heading Mountain Cleaners, a group of foreign volunteers who have taken up as a mission the clean-up of the mountains here.
The volunteers are reaching Bharmour Aug 20, the day the month-long pilgrimage begins to Manimahesh Lake, over 500 km from Shimla.
Evry year, more than 500,000 devotees undertake the pilgrimage to Manimahesh from where they can see Mount Kailash, believed to be the abode of Lord Shiva, and offer prayers.
"We have set up waste disposal and drop off points along the route at Bharmour, Hadsar, Dhancho, Gauri Kund and Manimahesh. We will encourage devotees to bring the waste they generate back to Bharmour and we provide them cloth bags. At present, there is no solution for non-recyclable waste. All waste is thrown into the river and dumped into the forests," the 34-year-old Briton said.
According to her, special pits have been set up on the trek for burying biodegradable waste. "The entire trail from Hadsar (the starting point of the pilgrimage) to Manimahesh will be left clean after the pilgrimage. Manimahesh and all locations en route will be left garbage-free," Jodie said.
Manisha Nanda, principal secretary of tourism, language, art and culture, told IANS: "We are aware of the threats to the ecology posed by devotees during the pilgrimage. We would encourage people to take back the plastic waste or dispose of their discarded clothes at identified dumping sites."
As per tradition, devotees discard their clothes near the lake after taking a dip in the water.
"This year we will try to bring back all the discarded clothes on ponies. Collection of waste is not a problem, but carrying waste on the 14-km trail is an arduous task," she added.
Conservator of Forests Suresh Kumar said the forest department would provide 15 employees to the Mountain Cleaners during the cleanliness drive.
Jodie and her group are currently collecting non-biodegradable waste dumped carelessly in the mountains surrounding McLeod Ganj, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile. She came to Dharamsala in January to sponsor the education of some Tibetan children but soon got involved in cleaning the mountains after seeing piles of garbage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly