Now, waste orange peel to meet rising fuel demands
London: Scientists all over the word are toiling day and night to find a way to meet the scarcity of fuel and its rising demands.
Now, a British scientist has discovered a revolutionary way to turn orange peel into oil, using a microwave.
Professor James Clark at the University of York found high-powered microwaves could break down the molecules in fruit peel to release gases that could be collected and distilled into a liquid product, the Daily Express reported.
These valuable gases were then used to produce oil, plastics, chemicals and fuels.
Among them was pectin, a thickening agent in jam, which was turned into motor fuel and also carbon used in water purifying machines.
Limonene, the chemical that gives citrus fruits their distinctive smell, was used in cosmetics and cleaning products, as well as glue.
Professor Clark claims the microwave method could also be used on a variety of plant-based waste to make fuel or other products. They include straw, cashew nut shells, apple peel, coffee or rice husks.
“Waste orange peel is an excellent example of a wasted resource. In Brazil, the world’s largest producer of orange juice, half the orange fruit is left as waste once the juice has been recovered. This corresponds to eight million tons a year of orange peel that can be used to produce chemicals, materials and fuels,” he said.
He built the 200,000 pounds microwave, which looks like one found in any kitchen, at his laboratory in the Green Chemistry Centre at the University of York.
It can only treat small amounts of food waste, but by December a model that can process 30 kilos of waste an hour is due to be in operation.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today