Nuclear energy key to climate change: Obama
Washington: US President, Barack Obama, today
said nuclear energy and clean coal energy technology is key to
the successful fight against climate change and on the latter
it is important to bring India and China on board.
"I know it`s controversial in some quarters, but if
you`re serious about dealing with climate change then you`ve
got to take a serious look at the nuclear industry," Obama
said at a Town Hall meeting in Nashua, New Hampshire.
"If you are serious about climate change, you`ve got to
figure out is there technology that can allow us to sequester
coal and the emissions that are set out," he said.
The reason for that is not just for the US, Obama
"China is building a coal-fired plant once a week, just
about --India is doing the same -- because coal is cheap," he
"Unless we can come up with some energy alternatives that
allow us to franchise that technology so that they are
equipped to burn that coal cleanly, we`re going to have
problems no matter what we do in this country when it comes to
the environment," Obama said.
So technology is key, he argued.
"We can make significant profits and create huge jobs
just upgrading traditional technologies".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation