Nuclear energy key to climate change: Obama
Washington: US President, Barack Obama, today
said nuclear energy and clean coal energy technology is key to
the successful fight against climate change and on the latter
it is important to bring India and China on board.
"I know it`s controversial in some quarters, but if
you`re serious about dealing with climate change then you`ve
got to take a serious look at the nuclear industry," Obama
said at a Town Hall meeting in Nashua, New Hampshire.
"If you are serious about climate change, you`ve got to
figure out is there technology that can allow us to sequester
coal and the emissions that are set out," he said.
The reason for that is not just for the US, Obama
"China is building a coal-fired plant once a week, just
about --India is doing the same -- because coal is cheap," he
"Unless we can come up with some energy alternatives that
allow us to franchise that technology so that they are
equipped to burn that coal cleanly, we`re going to have
problems no matter what we do in this country when it comes to
the environment," Obama said.
So technology is key, he argued.
"We can make significant profits and create huge jobs
just upgrading traditional technologies".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'