`Nuclear energy required to meet power demand`
New Delhi: Energy sources like nuclear, thermal and fuel power projects are the only way to meet India`s commercial energy needs, Environment Minister Jairam
Ramesh said here today.
It will be a "romantic illusion" that India, with 1.2 billion people can meet energy requirements through biogas, Ramesh said in an indirect reply to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Executive Director Achim Steiner.
Earlier, Steiner claimed that renewable energy is "cheaper" than nuclear energy "in the long run."
Both Ramesh and Steiner were addressing a curtain raiser press conference on World Environment Day to be celebrated on June 5.
India is the global host for this year`s World Environment Day celebrations. The theme of this year`s 2011 programme is `Forests: Nature at Your Service`.
According to Steiner, an expert in environmental politics, 17 per cent of Germany`s energy supply comes from renewable sources and it is cheaper than fossil fuels and
Facing flak from environmentalists for giving clearance for Jaitapur nuclear power project, Ramesh strongly justified the need to have nuclear energy referring to
Germany`s neighbouring country France which has tapped nuclear energy sources.
Germany had temporarily shut down seven of its nuclear reactors as part of reconsidering its nuclear strategy.
"Germany decides that it will not having nuclearpower. Neighbouring country (France) gets 70 per cent of its electricity from nuclear power. That is the decision by the French," Ramesh remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi