`Nuclear energy required to meet power demand`
New Delhi: Energy sources like nuclear, thermal and fuel power projects are the only way to meet India`s commercial energy needs, Environment Minister Jairam
Ramesh said here today.
It will be a "romantic illusion" that India, with 1.2 billion people can meet energy requirements through biogas, Ramesh said in an indirect reply to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Executive Director Achim Steiner.
Earlier, Steiner claimed that renewable energy is "cheaper" than nuclear energy "in the long run."
Both Ramesh and Steiner were addressing a curtain raiser press conference on World Environment Day to be celebrated on June 5.
India is the global host for this year`s World Environment Day celebrations. The theme of this year`s 2011 programme is `Forests: Nature at Your Service`.
According to Steiner, an expert in environmental politics, 17 per cent of Germany`s energy supply comes from renewable sources and it is cheaper than fossil fuels and
Facing flak from environmentalists for giving clearance for Jaitapur nuclear power project, Ramesh strongly justified the need to have nuclear energy referring to
Germany`s neighbouring country France which has tapped nuclear energy sources.
Germany had temporarily shut down seven of its nuclear reactors as part of reconsidering its nuclear strategy.
"Germany decides that it will not having nuclearpower. Neighbouring country (France) gets 70 per cent of its electricity from nuclear power. That is the decision by the French," Ramesh remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years