Number of long-billed vultures rises in Gujarat: Census
Ahmedabad: The fourth vulture census conducted in Gujarat shows 36.2 per cent rise in the population of the critically endangered long-billed species between 2010-12.
The head count of long-billed vultures in Gujarat has gone up from 265 in 2010 to 361 in 2012, official statement said.
However, the white-rumped vulture population has decreased from 793 in 2010 to 577 this year.
The census puts the total vulture population at 1,043, in the state including the globally threatened species like Egyptian vulture (97) and Red-headed vulture (8), enumerated during the exercise for the first time.
Red-headed vultures, which have never been numerically abundant in India due to its territorial nature, was recorded in Junagadh (5) and Amreli (5), it said.
The census, jointly conducted by Gujarat Forest Department and Gujarat Ecological Education and Research (GEER) foundation, shows current population of two critically endangered- white-rumped (577) and long-billed (361) vulture species at 938.
The exercise conducted in May uses the direct head count method for trend analysis as in the past. The counts were conducted at various known roosting, feeding and nesting sites of the species across the state.
White-rumped vultures and long-billed vultures are together called Gyps. During the survey, Ahmedabad (88 Gyps and 38 Egyptian) and Mehsana (68 Gyps and 14 Egyptian) have emerged as the major Gyps vulture concentration areas in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'