Nurture not nature determines personality traits among birds
Washington: A new study has found that foster parents have a greater influence on the personalities of fostered offspring than the genes inherited from birth parents.
Researchers at the University of Exeter and the University of Hamburg investigated how personality is transferred between generations.
Dr Nick Royle from the University of Exeter said, "This is one of the first experiments to show that behaviour can be non-genetically transmitted from parents to offspring. Our study shows that in zebra finches, personality traits can be transmitted from one generation to another through behaviour not just genetics."
The research measured personality by placing the zebra finches in a new environment and counting the number of features they visited.
Some were shy, staying mainly in one place while others explored widely demonstrating a more outgoing personality.
Male and female birds were then paired up and allowed to breed.
Each clutch of eggs was fostered by another pair just prior to hatching. Offspring personality was measured once they were adults.
Offspring size was also measured and was found to be primarily genetically inherited and not significantly influenced by foster parent size.
Although this study considers personality inheritance in zebra finches , it raises questions about the inheritance of personality in other species, including humans. Do adopted children inherit the personality characteristics of their birth parents or their adoptive parents? Is the environment more important than genetic inheritance in the development of personality?
The results of this study indicate that non-genetic transmission of behaviour can play an important role in shaping animal personality.
The study is published in the journal Biology Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir