Obama announces emmisions cut plan for first time
Washington: US President Barack Obama has unveiled the country`s first national climate action plan, pledging to limit carbon emissions from American power plants.
Delivering a speech at Georgetown University, Obama said the planet is changing in ways that will impact all of humankind, and that the 12 warmest years in recorded history have all come in the last 15 years.
"Americans across the country are already paying the price of inaction. As a president, as a father, and as an American, I`m here to say -- We need to act," Xinhua quoted Obama as saying.
The president noted that power plants, which currently represent one-third of all US carbon emissions, "can still dump unlimited amounts of carbon pollution into the air for free".
"That`s not right ... and it needs to stop," he added.
"I`m directing the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to put an end to the limitless dumping of carbon pollution from our power plants."
Obama described a low carbon clean energy economy as being an engine of growth for decades to come.
"There`s no contradiction between a sound environment and strong economic growth," said Obama.
"Using less dirty energy, transitioning to cleaner sources of energy, wasting less energy ... is where we need to go."
Obama said he was directing the Department of the Interior to greenlight enough private renewable energy capacity on public lands to power more than six million homes by 2020.
He asked the federal government to consume 20 percent of its electricity from renewable sources within the next seven years.
The president also set a goal to reduce carbon pollution by at least three billion metric tonnes cumulatively by 2030, more than half of the annual carbon pollution from the US energy sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway