Ocean acidification turning ‘Nemo’ fish deaf
Washington: Recent studies have shown that ocean acidification causes fish to lose their sense of smell.
Now, a new study has shown that this ocean climate change also impairs hearing in clownfish that inspired the film, ‘Finding Nemo’.
Ocean acidification is the name given to the ongoing decrease in the pH of the Earth``s oceans, caused by their uptake of anthropogenic carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
Working with Professor Philip Munday at James Cook University, lead author Steve Simpson of the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Bristol reared larvae straight from hatching in different CO2 environments.
"We kept some of the baby clownfish in today``s conditions, bubbling in air, and then had three other treatments where we added extra CO2 based on the predictions from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change for 2050 and 2100," said Simpson.
After 17-20 days rearing, he monitored the response of his juvenile clownfish to the sounds of a predator-rich coral reef, consisting of noises produced by crustaceans and fish.
"Fish reared in today``s conditions swam away from the predator noise, but those reared in the CO2 conditions of 2050 and 2100 showed no response," said Simpson.
The study was published recently in Biology Letters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged