Ocean life may help bring rain, snow
New York: Giving a new spin to how rain occurs, scientists believe a lot of the organic matter in clouds is released into the air by breaking waves in the ocean.
"Ocean waves release microscopic bits of organic matter that could be important in bringing rain and snow on land," said atmospheric chemist Kim Prather of Univeristy of California - San Diego, adding that wave spray might be an important contributor to rain and snow fall.
To understand the phenomenon, Prather and his team pumped ocean water into huge tanks called wave flumes.
They started a wave generator and collected the particles that are released.
The team then ran the particles through a machine called a mass spectrometer that shows them each particle`s chemical structure by using ions to measure mass and charge.
They repeated these experiments using different mixtures of algae to see which species release which particles.
"We found that some of these spectral profiles are near-perfect matches with ice-accreting all-stars we collected in flights over the Sierra Nevada mountains," researchers added.
According to Prather, understanding how these bits of organic matter fit into global climate is the long-term goal.
The team from the Centre for Aerosol Impacts on Climate and the Environment gave a presentation at the American Chemical Society`s annual meeting last week.
The research team is measuring the organic particles released from waves and matching those to particles it found in rain- and snow-bearing clouds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi