Oceansat-2 will provide more versatile data about sea: NIO
Panaji: Goa-based National Institute of
Oceanography (NIO) has said that Oceansat-2 satellite will
help facilitate versatile sea data boosting ocean research
segment in the country.
"With this satellite our capabilities has enhanced
tremendously. We will be able to collect more versatile data,"
V Ramaswamy, scientist, Geological Oceanography, NIO, said.
Indian Space Research Organistion`s polar satellite
launch vehicle carrying India`s ocean monitoring satellite
Oceansat-2 and six European nano satellites blasted off from
SHAR range at Sriharikota on Wednesday.
Although Oceansat-2 is continuation for Oceansat-1,
which was launched in 1999, the researcher feels that the
additional capabilities to monitor temperature and surface
winds will help in predicting various phenomenon in the ocean.
"Oceansat-1 had was providing data only on the ocean
colour while rest of the features were not there. The recently
launched satellite is equipped with two censors ocean colour
monitor (OCM) and KU-Band pencil beam scatterometer. With the
ocean colour we can make out primary production of the ocean,"
"If the ocean is green that means the more fishes will
be there. These zones are high productivity fishing zones,
which are recorded and the information is passed on to the
fishermen," Ramaswamy said.
He stated that the Oceansat-2 is bit more
sophisticated with the equipments which will transmit the data
which can be utilized during the various projects undertaken
by NIO sponsored by Ahmadabad-based space application centre
The researchers expect a major help in the Euphoric
zone studies and bio-geo chemical cycles.
Giving an edge over the Oceansat-1 satellite, the
recently injected satellite also will aid the scientists in
monitoring the dust storms which usually erupt from the west
of Rajasthan and countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran
Ramaswamy said that the data collected by this
satellite would be passed on to NIO by two agencies--SAT and
Hyderabad-based National Remote Sensing Agency (NRSA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read