Odisha activist seeks release of confined wild tiger
Bhubaneswar: An animal rights activist Wednesday demanded the release of a wild tiger who walked into a zoo in Odisha and has been in captivity since the past over a week.
Biswajit Mohanty, secretary of the Wildlife Society of Odisha, who is also a member of the National Board for Wildlife, said the tiger in Nandankanan zoo near state capital Bhubaneswar has "every right to lead a free life".
"It is a matter of concern and demonstrates the lack of commitment of the state government for tiger conservation," he said.
He apprehends that the zoo, which gained notoriety in 2000 for tiger deaths, wants to keep the big cat for breeding purposes.
"How can the state forest department allow this cruelty? We have written a letter of protest to the National Tiger Conservation Authority demanding the release of the tiger," Mohanty said.
The seven-year-old Royal Bengal tiger, who had been roaming in the nearby area creating panic, walked into the zoo`s white tiger safari area April 29.
Zoo officials said they have closed the safari for an indefinite period. They also said an environment that is conducive has been created for the new tiger in the safari area.
The tigers of the zoo have been kept away from the new big cat.
Nandankanan Zoological Park, literally meaning `The Garden of Heaven`, is spread over 425 hectares. It has over 1,200 animals and offers a first-of-its-kind white tiger safari, spread over 12 hectares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM