Odisha bans fishing in Gahirmata marine sanctuary
Kendrapara: The Odisha government clamped a seven month ban on fishing in the Gahirmatha marine sanctuary in Kendrapara district as mass nesting by endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles have begun.
The ban on the 20 km stretch of the Dhamra-Rushikulya river mouth has been clamped in accordance with Sections 2, 7 and 4 of the Orissa Marine Fishing Regulation Act, 1982 and provisions of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
"To ensure the safety of turtles, the prohibitory orders are being strictly enforced," Manoj Kumar Mahapatra, Divisional Forest Officer, Rajnagar Mangrove (wildlife) Forest Division said.”
The ban was to prevent turtles dying from being entangled in fishing nets.
Fishermen, however, said that conservation of the endangered Ridleys should not be at the cost of livelihood of thousands of fishermen.
They said that most fishermen fished without harming the turtles.
To make up the loss of fishermen, the World Bank funded Integrated Coastal Zone Management Programme has taken up alternate livelihood projects.
"We have planned to cover all fishermen families under the scheme to compensate their loss due to the ban," Assistant Director of Fisheries (Marine), Subrat Das said.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe