Odisha: Operation launched to protect Olive Ridley
Kendrapara: `Operation Oliver` has
been launched by the Odisha government to protect Olive Ridley
turtles arriving for mating at the Garimata sanctuary in
The Cost Guard has deployed a ship and a Dornier aircraft
to keep watch for fishermen, for whom Garimata is off limits.
"We do it every year for safety of the turtles who die if
they are hit by propellors of trawlers or get entangled in
fishing nets," Deputy Inspector General, Coast Guard, Paradip
K P S Raghuvamshi said today.
"A high-power committee of Odisha government has sought
our services in the turtle conservation programme," he said.
"Accordingly the operation to keep vigil on illegal
fishing along the turtle concentration zone is in full swing,"
Patrol vessels of the forest and fisheries department
often sought assistance from Coast Guard ships in the event of
exigencies, he said.
The patrol in turtle congregation sites would be in force
till marine turtles finish laying eggs on beaches, the CG DIG
The Coast Guard had earlier asked the state fisheries
department to issue identity cards to fishermen in coastal
Identification of Bangladeshis infiltrating by sea is
a cumbersome process due to similarity in language, looks and
physical features with local Bengali-speaking fishermen, Coast
Guard sources said.
"Often we find ourselves in catch-22 situation. The
crew members from intercepted vessels are found to be
Bengali-speaking. There is very little to distinguish between
a Bangladeshi and a migrant Bengali fisherman on the basis of
physical features and language," Raghuvamshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city