Odisha: Operation launched to protect Olive Ridley
Kendrapara: `Operation Oliver` has
been launched by the Odisha government to protect Olive Ridley
turtles arriving for mating at the Garimata sanctuary in
The Cost Guard has deployed a ship and a Dornier aircraft
to keep watch for fishermen, for whom Garimata is off limits.
"We do it every year for safety of the turtles who die if
they are hit by propellors of trawlers or get entangled in
fishing nets," Deputy Inspector General, Coast Guard, Paradip
K P S Raghuvamshi said today.
"A high-power committee of Odisha government has sought
our services in the turtle conservation programme," he said.
"Accordingly the operation to keep vigil on illegal
fishing along the turtle concentration zone is in full swing,"
Patrol vessels of the forest and fisheries department
often sought assistance from Coast Guard ships in the event of
exigencies, he said.
The patrol in turtle congregation sites would be in force
till marine turtles finish laying eggs on beaches, the CG DIG
The Coast Guard had earlier asked the state fisheries
department to issue identity cards to fishermen in coastal
Identification of Bangladeshis infiltrating by sea is
a cumbersome process due to similarity in language, looks and
physical features with local Bengali-speaking fishermen, Coast
Guard sources said.
"Often we find ourselves in catch-22 situation. The
crew members from intercepted vessels are found to be
Bengali-speaking. There is very little to distinguish between
a Bangladeshi and a migrant Bengali fisherman on the basis of
physical features and language," Raghuvamshi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!