Odisha to enact law to keep Chilika pollution free
Bhubaneswar: Encouraged over the increase in the fish production in Chilika Lake, Odisha government today said it would soon bring a new legislation to check pollution in the lagoon by curbing prawn cultivation and other activities.
The decision in this regard was taken at a meeting presided by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik here.
"We are taking certain steps to ensure that the environment of the lagoon remains pollution free," Patnaik said adding that the fishermen of Chilika undertook a fish trade worth Rs 143 crore in 2011-12.
The communities engaged in fishing in Chilika Lake this time produced 14,220 metric ton of fish, an official release said adding that the high yielding of fishes could be achieved due to less pollution in the lagoon.
Prawn cultivation used to destroy environment in the lake, the experts attending the meeting pointed. "The chief minister has suggested to expedite preparation of the proposed bill," a senior official said.
While the Chilika Development Authority (CDA) had already engaged two excavators to demolish illegal prawn ponds in the lagoon, eight such machines would be procured to expedite removal of illegal prawn ponds.
In a bid to help the fishing community, the chief minister also asked the authorities to provide financial assistance to primary cooperative societies of fishing communities.
While Rs 2 crore was given to 16 primary cooperative societies earlier, Patnaik today asked officials to earmarked Rs 4 crore to be distributed among 40 such societies.
This apart, it was also decided that 3500 highly efficient insulated ice-boxes to be distributed among the the communities, said CDA chief Ajit Kumar Patnaik adding that plans were also made for developing fishing jetties in the lake in order to boost export of the fish products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31