Olive Ridley turtles come to lay eggs
Kendrapara: Much to the delight of conservationists, around one lakh endangered Olive Ridley urtles have turned up at the serene Gahirmatha beach of Orissa for mass nesting during the last couple of days.
"The Nasi-1 Island, near Defence Research and Development Organisation`s defence installation at Wheeler`s Island, is witness to the laying of eggs by the marine visitors," Manoj Kumar Mahapatra, Divisional forest Officer, Rajnagar Mangrove (Wildlife) Forest Division, said.
The turtles` sojourn in unmanned island with idyllic environment has been a treat to watch, forest officials said.
As the territory where turtles have congregated to lay eggs is very close to the prohibited defence project, there are none to witness this unique natural phenomenon.
Under DRDO directions, visitors and outsiders are stopped from making their way to the place. Only forest personnel on turtle protection duty have access to the nesting ground, said forest officials.
The one kilometre stretch nesting ground is teeming with nesting Olive Ridley marine turtles who continue to enjoy threatened status equal to that of Bengal tigers in the country. Nearly one lakh species have turned up in a day. The nesting that is expected to continue for a week would pick up in coming days, officials said.
"It is a virtual treat to watch as these species made their nocturnal visits. Emerging from the seawaters, they head towards the sandy beaches," an official on turtle protection duty, said.
The turtles loiter around the serene beach for quite a while before locating their preferred places to lay eggs. Digging out pits, they have been laying eggs.
The species stay over an hour or so at the nesting ground before undertaking their seaward journey, officials said.
About 50 forest personnel are deployed on the beach to keep vigil and to ensure the safe and undisturbed mass nesting of the turtles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj