Olive Ridley turtles come to lay eggs
Kendrapara: Much to the delight of conservationists, around one lakh endangered Olive Ridley urtles have turned up at the serene Gahirmatha beach of Orissa for mass nesting during the last couple of days.
"The Nasi-1 Island, near Defence Research and Development Organisation`s defence installation at Wheeler`s Island, is witness to the laying of eggs by the marine visitors," Manoj Kumar Mahapatra, Divisional forest Officer, Rajnagar Mangrove (Wildlife) Forest Division, said.
The turtles` sojourn in unmanned island with idyllic environment has been a treat to watch, forest officials said.
As the territory where turtles have congregated to lay eggs is very close to the prohibited defence project, there are none to witness this unique natural phenomenon.
Under DRDO directions, visitors and outsiders are stopped from making their way to the place. Only forest personnel on turtle protection duty have access to the nesting ground, said forest officials.
The one kilometre stretch nesting ground is teeming with nesting Olive Ridley marine turtles who continue to enjoy threatened status equal to that of Bengal tigers in the country. Nearly one lakh species have turned up in a day. The nesting that is expected to continue for a week would pick up in coming days, officials said.
"It is a virtual treat to watch as these species made their nocturnal visits. Emerging from the seawaters, they head towards the sandy beaches," an official on turtle protection duty, said.
The turtles loiter around the serene beach for quite a while before locating their preferred places to lay eggs. Digging out pits, they have been laying eggs.
The species stay over an hour or so at the nesting ground before undertaking their seaward journey, officials said.
About 50 forest personnel are deployed on the beach to keep vigil and to ensure the safe and undisturbed mass nesting of the turtles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi