Online survey for house sparrows
Lakhimpur: Concerned over the fast decline in the number of house sparrows, the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) in active participation with the Indian Bird Conservation Network (IBCN) has launched an online survey programme for the little bird.
The BNHS is focusing on Uttar Pradesh where people in a very small number have registered their entries on the site so far.
The organisation has pinned its hopes on various environmental places like Katarniaghat foundation, Terai Nature Conservation Society to motivate the people about the sparrows and to log their information on the survey site, which will be in operation till May 31
"Indiscriminate use of chemical fertilisers, urbanisation spree besides several other things are suspected to be major factors behind the sudden disappearance of the sparrows," Fazlur Rahman, office-bearer of Katarniaghat Foundation said.
He said that the survey intend to make an exhaustive database about the status of sparrows through the experiences of common people, who know much more.
"The motive behind the unique survey is to collect and share the status and distribution of house sparrows across the nation," eminent ornithologist and director BNHS Asad Rahmani said.
"Once the data is collected, the BNHS will study and analyse the data base to reach some decisive factors," he added.
Rahmani said that on the initial page of the site, the visitor would be required to specify his name, designation and location and proceed to next page, where one is expected to fill 11 short queries, specifying the locality in detail where sparrows had been found missing or appearing, their frequency of visits, status of sparrows whether in groups or in limited numbers, about their nesting habits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!