Only 13% water left in reservoirs: Maharashtra
Mumbai: A day after authorities warned of water rationing in the state capital, Maharashtra Wednesday said tough times may be ahead with only 13 percent water left in the reservoirs and the monsoon, which normally arrives June 10, yet to make its full impact felt.
State Water Supply Minister Laxmanrao Dhoble said as of June 27 last year (2011), Maharashtra had 26 percent water stored in all its reservoirs catering to the 12 crore population of the state.
This year, the situation has turned very grim with just 13 percent water available in reservoirs and unless it rains soon, there will be tough times ahead, Dhoble warned.
The warning of likely water rationing came Tuesday from Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu, who said the current water stock in the city could only last till July 15.
Similarly, Minister of State for Urban Development Sachin Aher has criticised the weather department for making "faulty" forecast on arrival of monsoon.
The "faulty forecasting did not enable us to make proper planning to conserve the scarce water available at our disposal", Aher said.
Since the past two days, the state has already initiated steps to combat the situation and is preparing to impose stringent measures to stretch the supply of the available water as much as possible.
While all supplies to agriculture and farmlands have been discontinued and diverted for drinking purposes, various municipal corporations and councils, as also village administrations plan to impose severe water cuts.
Left with just enough water to last till July 15, even the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation is contemplating a 10 percent cut in daily water supply to its 18 million people.
Pune, with only four percent water in its reservoirs, has already started implementing alternate day supply from Wednesday.
With water levels plummeting to unprecedented depths, questions are being raised on the probable power supply scenario if the monsoon fails.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof