Over 360 plant varieties documented
Chennai: Out of over 4,000 plant varieties in the country, only 360 have been documented so far, a top official said today.
"There are over 360 plant varieties registered in the country so far and we have received over 3,500 more applications for registration of new varieties of plants," P L Gautam, Chairperson, Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers` Rights Authority (PPV&FR) told reporters here.
The Authority was working closely with farmers across the country as it considered them as scientists too, he said.
PPV and FR was established in New Delhi to realise the objectives of the Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers` Rights Act of 2001.
The Act was passed for establishment of an effective system for protection of plant varieties, the rights of farmers and plant breeders and to encourage the development of new varieties of plants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video