Over 360 plant varieties documented
Chennai: Out of over 4,000 plant varieties in the country, only 360 have been documented so far, a top official said today.
"There are over 360 plant varieties registered in the country so far and we have received over 3,500 more applications for registration of new varieties of plants," P L Gautam, Chairperson, Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers` Rights Authority (PPV&FR) told reporters here.
The Authority was working closely with farmers across the country as it considered them as scientists too, he said.
PPV and FR was established in New Delhi to realise the objectives of the Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers` Rights Act of 2001.
The Act was passed for establishment of an effective system for protection of plant varieties, the rights of farmers and plant breeders and to encourage the development of new varieties of plants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal