Over 360 plant varieties documented
Chennai: Out of over 4,000 plant varieties in the country, only 360 have been documented so far, a top official said today.
"There are over 360 plant varieties registered in the country so far and we have received over 3,500 more applications for registration of new varieties of plants," P L Gautam, Chairperson, Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers` Rights Authority (PPV&FR) told reporters here.
The Authority was working closely with farmers across the country as it considered them as scientists too, he said.
PPV and FR was established in New Delhi to realise the objectives of the Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers` Rights Act of 2001.
The Act was passed for establishment of an effective system for protection of plant varieties, the rights of farmers and plant breeders and to encourage the development of new varieties of plants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- India finds promising natural gas hydrates in Bay of Bengal
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?