Over 500 baby sea turtles released off Florida
Miami: The US Coast Guard and Gumbo Limbo Nature Center personnel released 505 sea turtle hatchlings in the Atlantic off Boca Raton, Florida, after keeping them in captivity to ensure their survival, officials said.
The nature centre, which works to protect sea turtles, requested assistance in doing the large release, the Coast Guard said in a statement Sunday.
The Gumbo Limbo Nature Center cared for the eggs until the hatchlings could be released in the Atlantic last week.
The 311 loggerheads and 194 green sea turtles were released on the seaweed beds off Boca Raton where they would have a higher chance of survival.
Loggerhead sea turtles are listed as threatened species, while green sea turtles are classified as endangered species.
The world`s oceans are home to seven species of sea turtles, all of which are endangered due to human activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das