Over 500 baby sea turtles released off Florida
Miami: The US Coast Guard and Gumbo Limbo Nature Center personnel released 505 sea turtle hatchlings in the Atlantic off Boca Raton, Florida, after keeping them in captivity to ensure their survival, officials said.
The nature centre, which works to protect sea turtles, requested assistance in doing the large release, the Coast Guard said in a statement Sunday.
The Gumbo Limbo Nature Center cared for the eggs until the hatchlings could be released in the Atlantic last week.
The 311 loggerheads and 194 green sea turtles were released on the seaweed beds off Boca Raton where they would have a higher chance of survival.
Loggerhead sea turtles are listed as threatened species, while green sea turtles are classified as endangered species.
The world`s oceans are home to seven species of sea turtles, all of which are endangered due to human activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000