Over 500 new species of insects identified in last eight years
Coimbatore: More than 500 new species of insects have been identified and 10,000 visuals on insect pests documented for the development of multi-media in the last eight years, a top official of the Network Project on Insect Biosystematics said today.
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research-sponsored scheme was initiated during 2005 and substantial progress has been achieved so far, National Coordinator VV Ramamurthy said at the two-day annual review meeting of the project at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University here.
The project has yielded comprehensive information on the availability of diverse nature of insect species, which will be useful for designing strategies for insect pest management in field crops, Ramamurthy said.
University Vice-Chancellor K Ramasamy said the project has identified some insects which were even present in the endangered list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Nation bids tearful adieu to APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!