Over 500 new species of insects identified in last eight years
Coimbatore: More than 500 new species of insects have been identified and 10,000 visuals on insect pests documented for the development of multi-media in the last eight years, a top official of the Network Project on Insect Biosystematics said today.
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research-sponsored scheme was initiated during 2005 and substantial progress has been achieved so far, National Coordinator VV Ramamurthy said at the two-day annual review meeting of the project at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University here.
The project has yielded comprehensive information on the availability of diverse nature of insect species, which will be useful for designing strategies for insect pest management in field crops, Ramamurthy said.
University Vice-Chancellor K Ramasamy said the project has identified some insects which were even present in the endangered list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi