Over 500 new species of insects identified in last eight years
Coimbatore: More than 500 new species of insects have been identified and 10,000 visuals on insect pests documented for the development of multi-media in the last eight years, a top official of the Network Project on Insect Biosystematics said today.
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research-sponsored scheme was initiated during 2005 and substantial progress has been achieved so far, National Coordinator VV Ramamurthy said at the two-day annual review meeting of the project at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University here.
The project has yielded comprehensive information on the availability of diverse nature of insect species, which will be useful for designing strategies for insect pest management in field crops, Ramamurthy said.
University Vice-Chancellor K Ramasamy said the project has identified some insects which were even present in the endangered list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea