Over 500 new species of insects identified in last eight years
Coimbatore: More than 500 new species of insects have been identified and 10,000 visuals on insect pests documented for the development of multi-media in the last eight years, a top official of the Network Project on Insect Biosystematics said today.
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research-sponsored scheme was initiated during 2005 and substantial progress has been achieved so far, National Coordinator VV Ramamurthy said at the two-day annual review meeting of the project at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University here.
The project has yielded comprehensive information on the availability of diverse nature of insect species, which will be useful for designing strategies for insect pest management in field crops, Ramamurthy said.
University Vice-Chancellor K Ramasamy said the project has identified some insects which were even present in the endangered list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days