Over 950 suspected poachers held in Tanzania
Dodoma: A staggering 952 suspected poachers have been arrested and 104 ivory seized in Tanzania during a special anti-poaching operation launched about two months ago, it was revealed Wednesday.
A total of 631 firearms, including 13 military weapons, have been seized during the operation jointly conducted by the Tanzania People`s Defence Force, Tanzania Police Force and Tanzania National Parks, reported Xinhua citing minister for defence and national service.
Speaking during a news conference in this capital city, Minister Shamsi Vuai Nahodha said 1,458 rounds of ammunition were also seized during the operation conducted in game reserves and national parks across the country.
The operation was launched in the light of some reports stating Tanzania was losing 30 elephants a day or 10,000 per year to poachers.
The rampant poaching activities have resulted in the elephant population in Tanzania dropping to 100,000 from 130,000 in last few years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference