Over 950 suspected poachers held in Tanzania
Dodoma: A staggering 952 suspected poachers have been arrested and 104 ivory seized in Tanzania during a special anti-poaching operation launched about two months ago, it was revealed Wednesday.
A total of 631 firearms, including 13 military weapons, have been seized during the operation jointly conducted by the Tanzania People`s Defence Force, Tanzania Police Force and Tanzania National Parks, reported Xinhua citing minister for defence and national service.
Speaking during a news conference in this capital city, Minister Shamsi Vuai Nahodha said 1,458 rounds of ammunition were also seized during the operation conducted in game reserves and national parks across the country.
The operation was launched in the light of some reports stating Tanzania was losing 30 elephants a day or 10,000 per year to poachers.
The rampant poaching activities have resulted in the elephant population in Tanzania dropping to 100,000 from 130,000 in last few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed