Ozone not healing
Washington: Scientists worldwide are looking for evidence that the ozone layer is beginning to heal, but this year`s data from Antarctica does not hint at a turnaround.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and NASA use balloon-borne instruments, ground instruments and satellites to monitor the annual South Pole ozone hole, global levels of ozone and the manmade chemicals that contribute to ozone depletion.
The ozone layer helps protect the earth from harmful ultraviolet radiation, but environmental factors punch a hole through it every year, for several weeks.
The Antarctic ozone hole, which yawns wide every spring, reached its annual peak on Sep 12, stretching 10.05 million square miles, the ninth largest on record.
"The upper part of the atmosphere over the South Pole was colder than average this season and that cold air is one of the key ingredients for ozone destruction," said James Butler, director of NOAA`s Global Monitoring Division in Boulder, Colorado, according to a NOAA statement.
Other key ingredients are ozone-depleting chemicals that remain in the atmosphere and ice crystals on which ozone-depleting chemical reactions take place.
Levels of most ozone-depleting chemicals are slowly declining due to international action, but many have long lifetimes, remaining in the atmosphere for decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez