Pachauri for focus on `natural debt` while forming policies
New Delhi: Noted environmentalist R K
Pachauri on Monday advocated the need to focus on "natural debt"
instead of financial aspects while forming national and fiscal
policies in view of the fast depleting natural resources.
"Our method of measurement (of Gross Development Products
(GDP)) does not take into account the depletion of natural
resources which we have taken for granted.
"But the time has come for us to focus on `natural debt`
to take into account the sustainability and not solely think
about financial debt," Pachauri said at a two-day
international conference on `Environmental Audit--Concern
about water pollution`.
He welcomed the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG)
of India`s initiative to undertake an environment audit and
pointed out that one has to measure depletion of "our critical
asset -- natural resources".
Vindo Rai, Comptroller and Auditor-General of India said
this is for the first time that the CAG has taken steps for
participation of a large number of stakeholders before
undertaking audits in areas like environment which impact the
The inputs would be used while planning the performance
audit on `Pollution of Rivers, Lakes and Groundwater` in India
during 2010-11, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman