Pachauri won`t quit over glacier blunder
New Delhi: Rajendra Pachauri, head of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Saturday said he would not quit over the IPCC blunder of saying that Himalayan glaciers would disappear by 2035.
While admitting the mistake once again at a press conference here, Pachauri said it did not take away from the report`s overall conclusion that glaciers in the Himalayas were receding.
"I have no intention of resigning from my position as its president. I was elected by all the countries and will complete the fifth IPCC assessment report on climate change," he added. The fifth report is scheduled in 2013.
Asked about IPCC`s credibility being affected due to the blunder, Pachauri said: "Rational people see the larger picture. And I am confident world leaders would continue to repose their faith in IPCC and there will be no deviation from that."
On a query regarding the need to review the whole of the IPCC`s 2007 fourth assessment report, he said: "You can`t generalise based on the mistake done over the melting of Himalayan glaciers. Our procedure is robust and adheres to the IPCC procedure."
"There is absolutely no information available on the rate at which Himalayan glaciers are melting. It is unfortunate that there is no research on glacier melting in India or the SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Corporation) nations. We should make a plan for proper evaluation and calculation of melting of glaciers," he added.
While preparing the fifth report, the IPCC would convene a meeting of the "lead authors" of its chapters "to ensure nothing like this happens again", Pachauri said.
He reacted sharply to a suggestion that The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) -- the think tank he also heads -- had benefitted from the alarmist statement that Himalayan glaciers may disappear by 2035.
"TERI is not involved in this mistake," Pachauri said. When it was pointed out that Syed Iqbal Hasnain, the scientists whose 1999 statement had given rise to the goof-up, was now a "senior fellow" at TERI, Pachauri shot back: "He was in JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University) then. He has been a senior fellow here for the last two years."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe