Painting your roofs white could help reduce effects of global warming
Washington: A new modelling study has determined that painting your roofs white can help reduce the effects of global warming in the city.
According to a report in Live Science, the study simulated the effects of painting roofs white to reflect incoming solar rays and found that it could help cool cities and reduce the effects of global warming.
“Our research demonstrates that white roofs, at least in theory, can be an effective method for reducing urban heat,” said Keith Oleson, the lead author of the study and a researcher at the National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado.
“It remains to be seen if it’s actually feasible for cities to paint their roofs white, but the idea certainly warrants further investigation,” he added.
Cities are particularly vulnerable to climate change because of a phenomenon known as the urban heat island effect.
The asphalt roads, tar roofs and other artificial surfaces that permeate cities absorb heat from the sun, making temperatures in urban areas on average 2 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit (1 to 3 degrees Celsius) higher than in rural areas.
“It’s critical to understand how climate change will affect vulnerable urban areas, which are home to most of the world’s population,” said NCAR scientist Gordon Bonan, a co-author of the study.
White roofs could reflect some of that heat back to space and cool temperatures, because white surfaces reflect most of the light that hits them, while black surfaces absorb most of that light.
Oleson and his team used a newly developed computer model to simulate the amount of solar radiation absorbed or reflected by urban surfaces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why