Panda pair arrive in Canada
Beijing: Two giant pandas have left China for Canada.
Da Mao, a four-year-old male, and Er Shun, a five-year-old female, will stay in Canada for 10 years under a conservation agreement between the two countries, China Daily reported Tuesday.
"The duo will spend five years at Toronto Zoo followed immediately by another five years at Calgary Zoo," said Zhang Zhihe, chief of the Chengdu panda base.
Zhang said visitors to Toronto Zoo will be able to see the two pandas after a month-long quarantine.
Currently, fewer than 2,000 pandas remain in the wild.
The Chinese tradition of sending the animals overseas dates to when the Empress Wu Zetian gave pandas to the Japanese emperor in 658.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?