Parrotfish play vital role in preserving coral reefs
Sydney: Brilliantly-hued parrotfish are playing a vital role in preserving whatever remains of the imperilled coral reefs.
The new study, led by David Bellwood and Terry Hughes, both professors, and Andrew Hoey, is based on parrot fish populations on 18 coral island reefs extending from Mauritius in the Indian Ocean to Tahiti in the central Pacific.
"Parrotfish fulfill a number of key roles on the reef," explains Bellwood of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society reports.
They "remove sick and dead corals and clean areas for new corals to settle, remove weedy growth, and cart away literally tonnes of sand and sediment that would otherwise smother the corals," explains Bellwood, according to an ARC statement.
"But there are two sorts of parrotfish -- the large ones which perform the main garbage removal task for the reef and the much smaller ones which scrape away at the reef and keep it clean, healthy and free of weed.
"Both are being targeted by fishing, but the smaller parrotfish appear better able to withstand the pressure," adds Bellwood.
"These smaller fish are incredibly tough and this is good news, because it means they are in a sense buying us time to get the management of coral reefs right, as the world sorts out how it is going to cut its carbon emissions and reduce other pressures on reefs."
While the smaller parrotfish are indeed resilient, it is nevertheless vital not to overfish them because of the role they perform in helping reefs regenerate, Bellwood cautions.
Larger parrotfish have already suffered extensively from heavy targetting by spear fishing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information