Pembroke Welsh Corgis face extinction: Report
London: The Pembroke Welsh Corgi, the breed favoured by the Queen, has been placed on a watchlist of endangered dogs in the UK for the first time.
The pembroke welsh corgi, the soft-coated wheaten terrier and the welsh terrier are also on the watchlist as a result of between 301 and 450 puppies being registered this year.
The Pembroke Welsh Corgi is a herding dog breed, which originated in Pembrokeshire, Wales.
Pembroke Welsh Corgis are famed for being the preferred breed of Queen Elizabeth II, who owns sixteen. These dogs have been favoured by British royalty for more than 70 years.
The Old English Sheepdog, a large breed of dog which was developed in England from early herding types of dog, is also in the list as only 316 of its puppies have been registered with the Kennel Club so far this year, the Sunday Times reported.
Sharon Tolliday, an old english sheepdog breeder from Suffolk, said the public`s preference for smaller dogs and "a misapprehension that the breed is high maintenance" had hastened its decline.
"When the Dulux adverts originally came out we were inundated. They were very popular but their popularity has dwindled," she said.
A list of 30 further breeds that the Kennel Club believes to be at serious risk of extinction and for which there have been fewer than 300 registrations in 2012 will be issued later this week.
Ahead of an event here next month to encourage people to choose endangered breeds, Caroline Kisko, secretary of the Kennel Club, said: "People often go for the most obvious or fashionable dog choice, which isn’t necessarily the right one for them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown