Peru researchers find remains of rare ancient insects
Lima: Researchers in Peru said they have discovered the remains of ancient insects and sunflower seeds trapped inside amber dating from the Miocene epoch, some 23
million years ago.
The rare find was made in the remote mountainous jungle region near Peru`s northern border with Ecuador, paleontologist Klaus Honninger said.
"These new discoveries are very important, because the insects and sunflower seeds confirm the type of climate that existed during the Miocene period," Honninger said in a
telephone interview from the northern city of Chiclayo.
The paleontologists discovered "hundreds of pieces of amber up to 12 centimetres large containing several types of insects," Honninger said.
The insects trapped in the amber -- fossilised tree resin are extremely well preserved and include ancient beetles, barklice, flies and spiders.
Honninger, director of the Chiclayo-based Meyer-Honninger Paleontology Museum, said that the experts discovered "an unknown species of arachnid" with a head like a dog and legs four times longer than the body.
The discovery was made in April in the Santiago River area of northern Peru.
Extreme climate change from the Miocene epoch (23 to five million years ago) was likely the reason the insects became extinct, Honninger said.
The same team of researchers announced in January it had discovered a fossilised squid from the Cretaceous era (145 to 65 million years ago) some 3,700 metres above sea level in the Maranon River Valley, also in far northern Peru.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof