Peru researchers find remains of rare ancient insects
Lima: Researchers in Peru said they have discovered the remains of ancient insects and sunflower seeds trapped inside amber dating from the Miocene epoch, some 23
million years ago.
The rare find was made in the remote mountainous jungle region near Peru`s northern border with Ecuador, paleontologist Klaus Honninger said.
"These new discoveries are very important, because the insects and sunflower seeds confirm the type of climate that existed during the Miocene period," Honninger said in a
telephone interview from the northern city of Chiclayo.
The paleontologists discovered "hundreds of pieces of amber up to 12 centimetres large containing several types of insects," Honninger said.
The insects trapped in the amber -- fossilised tree resin are extremely well preserved and include ancient beetles, barklice, flies and spiders.
Honninger, director of the Chiclayo-based Meyer-Honninger Paleontology Museum, said that the experts discovered "an unknown species of arachnid" with a head like a dog and legs four times longer than the body.
The discovery was made in April in the Santiago River area of northern Peru.
Extreme climate change from the Miocene epoch (23 to five million years ago) was likely the reason the insects became extinct, Honninger said.
The same team of researchers announced in January it had discovered a fossilised squid from the Cretaceous era (145 to 65 million years ago) some 3,700 metres above sea level in the Maranon River Valley, also in far northern Peru.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Centre buys 2,300 tonnes of onion so far to build buffer
- Revealed! Sanjay Dutt opens up about his comeback plans
- Goa Board 12th HSSC Result 2016: Goaresults.nic.in & Gbshse.gov.in GBSHSE Class 12th HSSC Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 10, 2016
- Head of All World Gayatri Pariwar Pranav Pandya nominated to Rajya Sabha
- India received $48 billion in remittances in 9 months of last fiscal