Plan to shift male tiger to Sariska put on hold
New Delhi: Rajasthan government has put off plans to shift one more male tiger to Sariska reserve for now to ensure disturbance-free habitat to a tiger couple which
"I have been told by the state wildlife officials that the tiger couple have met. We are hoping for some good news (birth of cubs). The relocation of another male tiger at this
moment can be risky as it might disturb the couple. Hence no new male tiger in Sariska for now," Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said.
The news of mating of the tigers had brought some cheer to Sariska which last month lost one of its five translocated big cats. The reserve in Rajasthan had lost all its native tigers by 2004-05, mostly to widespread poaching,after which the five tigers, two of them males, were translocated there since 2008 to revive their population.
After the male tiger was found dead in mysterious circumstances, with strong possibility of being poisoned, the Centre had approved the state government`s proposal to bring a
stray tiger to Sariska reserve which had moved from Ranthambore park to Bharatpur sanctuary.
But it has been put on hold now.
"We are monitoring the movement of the radio-collared tiger couple and we have got signals that they are in contact with each other. Their mating might result in birth of the
cubs, we are hopeful," an expert from Dehradun- based Wildlife institute of India (WII) said.
"Introduction of a new tiger in the habitat presently may lead to a fight between the two male big cats," he said.
Both of them were spotted together in Kalighatti area of Sariska reserve. Also, this time the tigress is different and not from same gene pool as that the male as was feared
earlier, he added.
While Sriska waits to get its first litter,translocation of felines in Panna sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh has yielded results with two tigress giving birth to cubs, much to the delight of wildlife enthusiasts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened