Plants can do math, reveal UK scientists
Zee Media Bureau
London: A new study has revealed that plants have a built-in capacity to do maths, which then helps them regulate food reserves at night to prevent starvation.
Scientists say they were amazed to find a sophisticated arithmetic calculation inside a plant’s biology. The calculation allows them to use up their starch reserves at a constant rate so that they run out of it almost precisely at dawn.
“This is the first concrete example in a fundamental biological process of such a sophisticated arithmetic calculation,” said mathematical modeller Professor Martin Howard from the John Innes Centre in Norwich, UK.
During the day, plants feed themselves using energy from the sun to convert carbon dioxide into sugars and starch. After the sunset, they depend on a store of starch to prevent starvation.
Scientists showed that plants make precise adjustments to their rate of starch consumption. These adjustments ensure that the starch store lasts until dawn. To adjust their starch consumption so precisely, they must be performing a mathematical calculation - arithmetic division, scientists said. “The capacity to perform arithmetic calculation is vital for plant growth and productivity,” said metabolic biologist Professor Alison Smith.
“Understanding how plants continue to grow in the dark could help unlock new ways to boost crop yield,” said Smith.
Researchers used the plant, Arabidopsis to analyse their findings.
The study has been published in the journal eLife.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad