Plants can do math, reveal UK scientists
Zee Media Bureau
London: A new study has revealed that plants have a built-in capacity to do maths, which then helps them regulate food reserves at night to prevent starvation.
Scientists say they were amazed to find a sophisticated arithmetic calculation inside a plant’s biology. The calculation allows them to use up their starch reserves at a constant rate so that they run out of it almost precisely at dawn.
“This is the first concrete example in a fundamental biological process of such a sophisticated arithmetic calculation,” said mathematical modeller Professor Martin Howard from the John Innes Centre in Norwich, UK.
During the day, plants feed themselves using energy from the sun to convert carbon dioxide into sugars and starch. After the sunset, they depend on a store of starch to prevent starvation.
Scientists showed that plants make precise adjustments to their rate of starch consumption. These adjustments ensure that the starch store lasts until dawn. To adjust their starch consumption so precisely, they must be performing a mathematical calculation - arithmetic division, scientists said. “The capacity to perform arithmetic calculation is vital for plant growth and productivity,” said metabolic biologist Professor Alison Smith.
“Understanding how plants continue to grow in the dark could help unlock new ways to boost crop yield,” said Smith.
Researchers used the plant, Arabidopsis to analyse their findings.
The study has been published in the journal eLife.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, MP and Bihar; Ganga flowing above danger mark
- Grand welcome back home: PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand thank Telangana government for wonderful reception
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside